Cannabis Legislation Map
Following is a breakdown of the states where cannabis is legal for recreational or medical purposes.
In the 2020 election, voters in four states approved measures legalizing adult-use cannabis and voters in two states approved a measure legalizing medical cannabis. Recreational cannabis is now legal in 15 states and medical cannabis is legal in 35 states.
- Arizona‘s Proposition 207, known as the “Smart and Safe Act,” legalizes cannabis use and cultivation for people 21 and older.
- In New Jersey, voters approved Question 1, a constitutional amendment to legalize the possession and use of marijuana for people age 21 and older and legalize the cultivation, processing and sale of retail marijuana.
- Medical marijuana is now legal in Mississippi after the approval of Initiative 65, which creates a list of qualifying debilitating medical conditions and allows medical marijuana patients to possess up to 2.5 ounces at one time.
- Montana‘s Initiative 90, makes limited amounts of marijuana legal for adults 21 years of age or older, and regulates, controls, and taxes the commercial production and distribution of marijuana.
- South Dakota had measures on recreational and medical marijuana, both of which were approved by voters.